Peter,

  I have pushed your patch along with a fix for the ext problem into
galaxy-central. I don't think the fix will modifies the behavior in
such a way that your implementation will be affected but let me know
if I have broken something.

Overall, this seems like a solid change to me - thanks for the contribution.

-John