Dear galaxy-dev's,

about a year ago you discussed on variable number of inputs into a workflow
(see http://lists.bx.psu.edu/pipermail/galaxy-dev/2012-November/012012.html and
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.galaxy.devel/4502/focus=4502, for
example). We're interested in having something simple like a number of fastq
files that have to undergo automated quality control and trimming. A workflow
would describe steps that need to be done per file (like fastqc, quality
trimmer and so on), and in the end, a tabular data summarizes statistics on all
files. Of course, we could prebuild workflows for 2,3,4,5,..n input files and
join the output, but it would be much cooler to have it variable. Since it's
possible to start many instances of a workflow (i.e. one instance per file),
this would be a good starting point. But how would one combine outputs of those
instances? Is anyone out there having experience with such setups? Which files
are involved in starting many instances of a workflow? Any other ideas or
suggestions on how to go from here? Thanks a lot for any input!

Best,
Jens

Max-Planck-Institute for Heart and Lung Research
Bioinformatics Service - FGI
Ludwigstra├če 43
61231 Bad Nauheim

Phone. +49 6032 705 1765