Kyle;
I'm also excited about Docker for easing installation issues and fully
capturing run environments. I haven't yet done anything specifically for
Galaxy tools but put together a functional docker installation of
bcbio-nextgen as a step towards integration:

https://github.com/chapmanb/bcbio-nextgen-vm

The trickiest parts of integration are that you need to mount all
container-external data directories used, so need to identify inputs,
outputs and data files and map them over to mounts in the
container.

There is some optimism about support for at least Mac for running
containers. There is a native Docker client, and work on supporting the
server side is on going according to the discussion:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7009306

There is also the approach using super minimal VMs that wrap
docker. This isn't easy to use yet but it looks like the proof of
concept is there:

https://github.com/steeve/boot2docker

It would be great to hear what other people end up doing with
Docker. Thanks for starting this discussion,
Brad