On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 8:26 PM, Ketan Maheshwari <ke...@mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Is it possible to write a type file "bin_or_exe" which can detect the
> executable bit of data before they are part of Galaxy's indexed data.
>
> Thanks,
> Ketan

You haven't convinced me this is a good idea, but I would try this
by defining a new datatype class in Python with a sniffer method
which just checks for the executable bit (probably defined as a
subclass of the binary datatype, see [1]) and then add this and
its sniffer to the datatype XML file.

Peter

[1]
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/src/default/lib/galaxy/datatypes/binary.py