I asked around a while ago about this (GALAXY_TEST_EXTERNAL) and I
believe the consensus was it does not work and has not worked for
sometime - this is unfortunate because it was very useful. I have
created a Trello card - please up vote it if you feel this should be a
priority.

https://trello.com/c/8K86l4Qk

Thanks,
-John