Brilliant, thanks John. I was poking through history while trying to
figure this out and it seems like the conditions to cause this have been
around for quite a while; pure chance that no one has noticed it?

Quite possible that other runners have this as well (haven't checked);
anywhere a 'str' is going through json at some point means a 'unicode'
will appear if it needs to be reloaded...

Anyway, thanks for pushing in the fix for the pbs runner.

Eric