From: galaxy-dev-boun...@lists.bx.psu.edu [galaxy-dev-boun...@lists.bx.psu.edu]
on behalf of Wang, Xiaofei [xfw...@ku.edu]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2014 4:41 PM
To: galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu
Subject: [galaxy-dev] tool_dependency_dir (Installed, missing tool dependencies)

Dear there,

I am trying to install some tools from toolshed on my local galaxy instance,
like bwa_wrappers, package_picard_1_56_0, package_samtools_0_1_18, and
sam_to_bam. For the first time, I got a warning before installing, something
like this " set the value of your tool_dependency_dir setting in
universe_wsgi_ini and restart before installing".

Then, I followed the answer on this thread (Problem installing tool_ Galaxy
local) as below. I edited the universe_wsgi_ini like this:

#Path to the directory in which managed tool dependencies are placed.  To use
# the dependency system, see the documentation at:
# http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Config/Tool%20Dependencies
#tool_dependency_dir = None
tool_dependency_dir = ../tool_dependencies

Then, I restarted and installed the tool again. Galaxy create a directory named
tool_dependencies at the same level in local file system hierarchy as the
galaxy installation directory (same level as galaxy-dist). Some softwares such
as bwa and picard are installed automatically here. But, when I checked in the
admin "manage installed tool shed repositories", the installation status is
"Installed, missing tool dependencies" for the four tools I mentioned above. I
do not know why this happened in my case? I tried to figure it out follow this
thread "The migrated BWA installed but missing dependencies". But, I did not
get the idea.

Could you tell me why this happen and how to fix it up?

Thank you so much!

Your setting for tool_dependency_dir should not be as you've stated:

tool_dependency_dir = tool_dependencies

It should be an actual path on your local file system, something like:

tool_dependency_dir = ../tool_dependencies

If you use the above setting, then Galaxy should create a directory named
tool_dependency_dir at the same level in your local file system hierarchy as
your Galaxy installation directory.

I cannot guarantee that this change will solve your problem, but it will be a
step in the right direction.  After making this change, let us know if you
still see problems.

Greg Von Kuster