This API controller broke with the latest release from earlier this
week - I have since fixed this in galaxy-central and opened a pull
request to have it fixed in the stable branch. Otherwise I think it
was worked for quite some time. The bioblend commands should be
something like this...

>>> gi = galaxy.GalaxyInstance(url="<url>", key="<key>")
>>> l = gi.libraries.create_library("testlib")
>>> gi.libraries.set_library_permissions( l['id'], access_in=['<role id>'] ) #
>>> Require a role id to access get from /api/roles
>>> gi.libraries.set_library_permissions( l['id'], access_in=[], modify_in=[],
>>> add_in=[], manage_in=[] ) # reset all permissions

If you have a very new Galaxy, please apply this patch -
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/commits/c4291f95313abcb1ad91ffe4faaa2c30b05149dc.
Otherwise can you try using the commands as shown above - lists of
role ids. If that doesn't work there should be some stack traces in
the galaxy log to help diagnose the problem. Please feel free to
follow up with these.

Hope this helps - let me know if there are still problems.

-John