Björn;
I wanted to say that this was brilliant work. Thanks for taking it
on. Docker is super awesome, and I'm excited to see other folks using
it. I'm patiently waiting for user namespace support so non-privileged
users can run it but otherwise happy.

I also had the same problem with trusted builds. It's a collection of
diffs over time so gets out of control quickly. I also ran into download
issues as the size of the repo increased but that might not be an issue
here unless you try to host a lot of tools with Galaxy. What I do for
bcbio-nextgen is export and gzip the image and then import it back in:

https://github.com/chapmanb/bcbio-nextgen-vm#creating-containers

It's not nearly as clean as trusted builds but deals with the size and
multiple version issues,
Brad