Do you have an example tool XML that is not working for you? Is it
using $output.extra_files_path or $output.files_path to find this
directory? My understanding is that $output.files_path outputs should
be written to the working directory and the other version
($output.extra_files_path) should no longer be used in tools because
of use cases like this one.

If you sent me the tool though I could do some more digging and
confirm this or try to correct the underlying bug if there is one.

-John