Hello Julie,

Thanks for your interest in dataset collections! Good luck with your
experiments and sorry about the bumps in road you will experience -
these are early days :). Here are the modified tools from the example:

https://gist.github.com/jmchilton/b6773c8433224ea7ed78

These examples may not make sense because the example in the
presentation is highly contrived. There are some equally contrived -
but much simpler tools (to visualize, test the concepts) - in Galaxy's
test tools directory
(https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/src/default/test/functional/tools/)
see collection_mixed_param.xml, collection_nested_test.xml, and
collection_paired_test.xml.

Hope this helps.

-John