Hi John,

Here is what I've tracked down this morning.  On the off chance this seems
wildly off the mark I don't know much about python or galaxy.  I am drinking
fancy coffee though ;)

I did confirm all the folders are world executable.  The upload is running as a
local job, not a cluster job.

I put some debugging code into galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/datatypes/registry.py and
the chmod in that code block is not called for the uploaded file.

I made an edit to scripts/external_chown_script.py
I added the line:
os.system('chmod 0644 %s' %(path))

that made the uploaded file world readable and pushed me to the next error that
reads:
galaxy.jobs ERROR 2014-06-11 09:33:31,562 fail(): Missing output file in
working directory:
[Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/panfs/storage.local/software/galaxy-dist/database/job_working_directory/000/8/galaxy_dataset_8.dat'

It looks like the problem is with the permissions on the newly created folder
(8 in this case)
-bash-4.1$ ls -l database/job_working_directory/000/
total 64
drw-r--r-- 2 galaxy galaxy 4096 Jun 11 09:33 8

The folder is does not have execute permissions turned on.  Could someone point
me to the block of code where the mkdir is run?  Or of course if there is some
setting I've missed some place please let me know!

Thanks for the help.
Donny
FSU RCC