Spent a couple hours yesterday trying to track down this - I was not
getting anywhere though and I see why now.

Well this definitely an unfortunate situation - but I think
documentation improvements are the right fix not enforcing the engine
type in sqlalchemy migrations. For one, I don't think we can assume a
particular engine type because different deployers may already going
to have both kinds out there right?

I think it would be better to update the wiki to encourage InnoDB for
all new installations and warn this can happen for MySQL upgrades.

Is this okay?

Sorry about this.

-John