From: "Kandalaft, Iyad" <iyad.kandal...@agr.gc.ca>
To: Stef van Lieshout <stefvanliesh...@fastmail.fm>,
"galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu" <galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu>
Subject: RE: [galaxy-dev] R bioconductor dependencies when creating
toolshed installation
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 18:19:46 +0000

I would typically recommend Option 3 as it is the best practice.
However, human resources limit this as a viable option even though this
should be the "Gold Standard" that you aim for.  This allows you to
reuse the dependencies later for other tool wrappers AND you don't have
to re-install dependencies every time you make a modification to your
tool wrapper repository.  While briefly looking at Bioconductor, it
seems that they keep old version of packages (ex:
http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.13/data/experiment/bin/windows/contrib/3.0/AmpAffyExample_1.2.13.zip),
where using the URLs directly might be advantageous if their BiocLite
doesn't allow you to define which version to install.  You don't
necessarily need to have an external R script for the installation
because many of these commands can be done within the
tool_dependencies.xml.

Regards,

Iyad Kandalaft
Microbial Biodiversity Bioinformatics
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada | Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
960 Carling Ave.| 960 Ave. Carling
Ottawa, ON| Ottawa (ON) K1A 0C6
E-mail Address / Adresse courriel  iyad.kandal...@agr.gc.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 613-759-1228
Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-759-1701
Teletypewriter | Téléimprimeur 613-773-2600