Hey Jens,

  I have tried a few different things and I have been unable to
replicate the behavior locally.

  Is this tool specific or configuration specific - i.e. do you see
this behavior only with a specific tool or do the concatenate datasets
tool experience this as well say?

  If it is tool specific - you (or the underlying application) may be
deleting metadata_results_XXX files in the working directory as part
of the job? If you are convinced the tool is not deleting these files
but it is a tool-specific problem can you pass along the tool you are
using (or better a minimal version of the tool that produces this
behavior.)

  If it is configuration specific and you can get it to happen with
many different tools - can you try to do it against a clean copy of
galaxy-dist or galaxy-central and pass along the exact updates
(universe_wsgi.ini, job_conf.xml, etc...) that you used to configure
Galaxy to cause it to produce this error.

  Couple more things - it hasn't gone into the if in the
jobs/__init__.py statement - it is doing that first check
external_metadata_set_successfully when the error occurs - so I don't
think it is a problem with the retry_metadata_internally configuration
option.

  Additionally, you are using the local job runner so Galaxy will
always "retry_metadata_internally" - the local job runner doesn't try
to embed the metadata calculation into the job like the cluster job
runners (so retry_metadata_internally doesn't really matter with the
local job runner... right now anyway). If you don't want the metadata
calculation to be embedded into the local job runner job the way
cluster job runners do it (so retry_metadata_internally does in fact
matter) there was an option added to the local job runner last release
that I realized I hadn't documented - you can add <param
id="embed_metadata_in_job">True</param> to the local job destination
in job_conf.xml.

  More information about this new option here:
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/commits/75c63b579ccdd63e0558dd9aefce7786677dbacd

-John