Hi BJörn,

We have run into some problems with the perl environment.
This might also affect other tools that rely on a shebang with absolute
paths to the interpreter. Details below.

During the installation of the perl package (we tried package_perl_5_18
from main and testing toolshed), the cpanm script gets installed but
when executed it is invalid/not found.

The issue seems to be the length of the shebang in the script which is
limited to 80 characters. In cpanm it's:

!#/galaxy_dist/tool_dependencies/perl/5.18.1/bgruening/package_perl_5_18/e89824189ec6/bin/perl

That is 92 characters long. When launching the script it gets truncated
at "...perl_5_18/e898241", causing the command to fail with a "bad
interpreter" error.

I was able to workaround this problem by editing the script manually and
replacing the long shebang by: #!/usr/bin/env perl

As it stands it seems relying on the shebang to use the correct
interpreter is a problem. Repositories with long (character wise) names,
versions or owners will be more likely to suffer from this. So will
installations that are not close to the system root.

Renato

Quoting Björn Grüning on 30-07-2014 12:04: