Hi Peter,

On 08/04/2014 09:25 AM, Peter Cock wrote:
> Hi Mert,
>
> Most of the Galaxy tools dealing with tables of data use "tabular"
> format (tab separated variables), not csv (comma separated
> variables). CVS is a horrible horrible mess of formats, see e.g.
> http://tburette.github.io/blog/2014/05/25/so-you-want-to-write-your-own-CSV-code/

This annoyed me when I was first starting out with galaxy, I really wish
it'd be labelled TSV. The labels all read "CSV" so I gave galaxy "CSV"
data and galaxy didn't like it, much to my confusion.

Also, most (biologists) I work with use the term CSV very generically
without regard to the differences between the two.

> Also beware that anything other than MS Excel could be
> confused by quirks in the Excel format, e.g. multiple ways
> to record dates: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180162
>
> I would personally save each tab of the Excel sheet as tab
> separated data, and import those into Galaxy.

Would it not make sense to have an XLS <-> TSV datatype converter? I'm
sure many biologists would appreciate being able to use the in-galaxy
version as opposed to having to open+re-save all of their data.

Cheers,
Eric