I am concerned about having to merge those changes later on so thank you for
confirming that.

I was wondering if maybe these things were a moot point now.  Certainly bam and
sniff are built in?  Here is additional code found in their older hack:

   if dataset.is_multi_byte:
        data_type = 'multi-byte char'
        ext = sniff.guess_ext( dataset.path, is_multi_byte=True )
    # Is dataset content supported sniffable binary?
    elif check_bam( dataset.path ):
        ext = 'bam'
        data_type = 'bam'
    elif check_sff( dataset.path ):
        ext = 'sff'
        data_type = 'sff'
    elif check_celstgz( dataset.path ):
        ext = 'cels.tgz'
        data_type = 'cels.tgz'

We have added info to the datatypes_conf.xml file for other data types they
need to support in their tools so maybe I can just add this cels.tgz info there
too.  I will have to find someone who knows python better than I do to tell me
what's going on in their additions to the upload.py file.

Thanks,
Dori