When was the last time you updated Galaxy - we fixed a bug that would
be causing this behavior several releases ago.

Otherwise - additional information would help - like are you using the
DRMAA job runner or the newer specialized Slurm job runner and are
there any details in the Galaxy log that might be helpful? I would
expect to see a stack trace of some kind if there are problems like
this. If there are no stack traces and you have an update-to-date
Galaxy - perhaps checking the SLURM logs for errors might also provide
additional insight.

-John