Am 25.08.2014 um 18:05 schrieb Dooley, Damion:
Ok, I'll be very happy to see what you've accomplished there.  I will read
through what you've done when I return from vacation in a week!

A key need is to have whatever data comes in show up as linked data in one's
history to avoid server overhead;
a second objective was to not need to modify existing workflows - as long as they could work of data in history that is typed appropriately. So your 'select type' solution sounds intreguing!

And certainly interested in your use of git - I tried using git, using a 1-line
fasta data format, but git seemed to choke on protein fasta files?
And did it run into performance problems with larger files?  That was my
experience.  I think I read its authors say that its upper limit was 15gb.

This is probably true for one large file. I'm storing the entire PDB in git since a few years. One entry one file and it works fine.

Do you know git annex? https://git-annex.branchable.com/

That was the motivation for writing a simple key-value master file diff system
that seems to have the same I/O as git on smaller files,
but more reliable for the fasta data case, and no problems with larger files -
it outputs a new version in the same time it takes to read a master file.
It has drawbacks though - incoming data to compare master with must be sorted
in 1 line fasta format first.

My intention was to create a universal solution for database tracking. So if you can please design your system in such a way that you can store arbitrary data, not only fasta files.

Thanks for your input; looking forward to your project writeup...

Wonderful!
Talk to you after your holidays!
Bjoern

Damion

Hsiao lab, BC Public Health Microbiology & Reference Laboratory, BC Centre for
Disease Control
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 4R4 Canada