Collection are one potential answer for how users can specify the set
of stuff that belongs in the directory. For explicitly dealing with
applications that consume directories - I think it is best to just
create the directory and link in files (if possible) before the tool
runs.

<command>mkdir input_dir;
#for $i, $input_file in enumerate($input_files)# ln -s "$input_file"
"input_dir/$i"; #end for
my_application input_dir
</command>
<inputs>
  <param name="input_files" type="data" format="bam" multiple="true" />

You can also do this sort of thing in a wrapper. If needed you can
build more interesting command-lines this way that add extensions, use
names, etc.... peptideshaker is an example of a fairly complex tool
that uses an idiom like this and doesn't resort to a helper wrapper
(https://toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/repository/browse_repository?id=13a5bad5c984db6f#).

I am currently working on support for tools that actually produce
collections of files this way - I think I will probably land up adding
some high-level utilities for doing stuff like this for those
scenarios. But if you tool just produces a couple files and consume a
directory - no need to necessarily resort to collections (as the tool
author - your users will probably want to if they want to use these
tools in workflows).

-John