Earlier on in the project analysis I was pursuing a Git solution because it
seemed all its features would work with documents/code/files of any kind and so
would be perfect for scientific reproducibility.  But its ability to
efficiently archive non-documents is quite hit and miss, and the file size
limitation becomes a major problem on top of that when it doesn't.

I will try to design the system so that handlers for different types of
databases/files can be called into play to retrieve versioned content.

Its just that this fall I'll only have time to provide the handlers for fasta
file archiving (the key-value database update approach enables fasta versioning
and all the spinoff data from that.).
The next priority would be a handler for any type of file that needs to be
replaced as a whole from version to version (one just needs hard drive space to
accommodate this, since caching is pointless).
A git handler for well-behaved document content would also be a possibility.

Typo: I said yesterday "I wasn't going to leave that as just "fasta" datatype
since it seems tools like makeblastdb don't allow anything else ..." - but I
meant 'I WAS going to leave that as just "fasta"...'

d.