Hi folks,

I'm working on a tool that queries a database based on user input, where
this user input is a text parameter.  The wildcard for the database is the
percent (%) character.  The user input, which is ultimately translated into
the query, should be able to contain a % character.  For example, one input
field lets the user indicate which cancer cohort he or she is interested
in, in a table of available cohorts, and the user should be able to give
input like 'TCGA%" to indicate all TCGA cohorts.

The problem I'm having is that when % is given in the input field, it's
translated (to X) by the time it reaches my tool's python script.  I
haven't been able to figure out the right way to escape the input so that %
is not translated.

So, how do I escape this?

Thanks!

Melissa