Hi Nate,

Indeed, I have noticed some significant improvements in the config files layout.
All config files have been moved to the config/ directory and the automatic
creation of missing config/location files is now handled by the
common_startup.sh script. This is great but it is not solving my main concern
about creating « unused » config files at startup.

To be more specific, I will give you a short description of our Galaxy instance
layout. We are currently sharing the sources of our Galaxy instance because we
want to share our Vagrant setup with Galaxy tools developers. However, we
actually don’t want to share all our config files but still want to keep them
under version control. That’s why we decided to move all our config/location
files in a private repository and point to this specific location in our main
galaxy.ini config.
In my opinion, if a galaxy.ini file already existing and is pointing to
non-default location for some config files ou tool-data path, the Galaxy
startup script should not be creating the corresponding default config files to
the default location.

My idea was to refactor the common_startup.sh script in order to parse an
eventually existing galaxy.ini and then create each default config files to the
location pointed by galaxy.ini.

--
Julien Seiler
@julozi