On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:05 PM, Wolfgang Maier
<wolfgang.ma...@biologie.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is just to make sure: the GALAXY_SLOTS environmental variable set by
> Galaxy when running tools will always be a number >= 1 with 1 being the
> default if nothing else is configured in the job runner settings ?
>
> Correct ?
>
> Thanks,
> Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

I believe so, however it is possible it might be unset in a corner case
(please report this as a bug if you see it happen) or a tool could change
the value.

You can use the following bash syntax to set your own default in
the tool's <command> template, e.g.

-num_threads "\${GALAXY_SLOTS:-8}"

Note the colon minus is the special bash syntax, here the default
value is 8 (not minus 8) if $GALAXY_SLOTS is not set. Also note
in the <command> XML you must escape the dollar sign.