Hey Pieter,

  Sorry I am swamped right now so I don't have time to dig into this
in detail - but I have encountered this before with datatypes that are
compressed - zipped, gzipped, etc.... Galaxy will attempt to
decompress them in order to figure out what they are. I believe this
is what is happening to your data. If you register the type as a
sniffable binary it looks like it should skip the decompression though
- unless I am reading this logic wrong in tools/data_source/upload.py
https://gist.github.com/jmchilton/54b5d7485fcd16eec984.

E.g. like bam datatypes:

class Bam( Binary ):

Binary.register_sniffable_binary_format("bam", "bam", Bam)

Have you registered a sniffable binary datatype for RData?

-John