Hey Ryan,

Sorry this took a long while for me to get back to, again.  I probably
should have pointed you here to start with, but bioblend (a nice python
layer on top of the raw galaxy API)  has a much friendlier interface and is
what you'd probably want to use for this kind of script.  Here's an example
specifically of uploading from filepaths to a data library:

http://bioblend.readthedocs.org/en/latest/api_docs/galaxy/docs.html#upload-files-to-a-data-library

-Dannon