I tested all versions of setuptools available in PyPI from 0.6c11 up
to 7.0. I found that galaxy fails to fetch eggs with the following
error when setuptools > 6.0.2 (i.e., 6.1 and 7.0).

#####
 * Creating directory in /mnt for galaxy data
                                                                    *
Starting Galaxy Galaxy
Some eggs are out of date, attempting to fetch...
Warning: MarkupSafe (a dependent egg of Mako) cannot be fetched
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./scripts/fetch_eggs.py", line 46, in <module>
    c.resolve() # Only fetch eggs required by the config
  File "/opt/galaxy/web/lib/galaxy/eggs/__init__.py", line 347, in resolve
    egg.resolve()
  File "/opt/galaxy/web/lib/galaxy/eggs/__init__.py", line 192, in resolve
    if e.args[1].key != e.args[0].key:
IndexError: tuple index out of range
Fetch failed.
#####

Cheers,
-Evan Bollig
Research Associate | Application Developer | User Support Consultant
Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
599 Walter Library
612 624 1447
e...@msi.umn.edu