Sorry for the delay - I think I understanding what you are saying now.

Are you connecting "inputs" to your datasets (they are at the botton
of the workflow editor menu and many people miss them)? It is much
more clear what the workflow runner has to do with these kind of
inputs.

Short of that though - I think more people than not consider it a
really nice feature that the inputs are prepopulated with items in the
history that match that input. If you have just a couple datasets in
in your history - it makes workflow running quicker and easier.

So unless there is an outcry from others that this is needed - I think
the devteam is not going to add this. (Though by all means others
should chime in and let me know if this would be a good feature and I
am wrong.)

If you have some developer time to devote to this - I would be happy
to walk you through where to look to modify this feature locally (with
the caveat that Sam is going to make big changes to the workflow run
page over the next few months so those diffs would like become
conflicted quickly.)

-John