I can try a local toolshed, but the organization I work at frowns upon
automatic installation for various reasons.  That and it lets me see
exactly how a tool is installed and works within my local instance.

When a tool is installed from the toolshed, how does Galaxy know about it?
>From a DB entry, or from the XML file(s) being present somewhere?  I sort
of like the idea of how /etc/profile.d gets scanned by /etc/bashrc when a
user logs into a linux machine.  This way, there is no modification of
files, just placing the right files in the right directory is all that is
needed.  Anyway, I need to understand how Galaxy works with the toolshed.