Hi Philippe,

All the Galaxy tool definitions ought to have a <version_command>
tag which is run immediately before the actual <command> string
(on the same cluster etc). That captures version text from the
actual binary used for generating a history entry, and is recorded
in the job's meta data.

Currently this is not cross-checked to any requested version
defined via the ToolShed dependencies - many Galaxy instances
do not actually use that (e.g. manual install of binaries, or some
other way of installing the binaries).

I've filed a feature request on this issue:
https://trello.com/c/9nz482vx/2352-verify-tool-versions-match-what-was-expected-provenience

Is this the kind of thing you were asking about?

Peter