On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Peter Briggs
<peter.bri...@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello Peter C.
>
> Thanks for your comments and advice Ironically after I sent that email the
> tests for the next tool I looked at in the toolshed had been run in the past
> couple of days.

That's good. I can also confirm that the Test Tool Shed example I
gave was tested overnight, although it looks like a novel failure:
https://testtoolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/view/peterjc/sample_seqs

> I'm interested because I've got a couple of tools that seem to work okay
> when I run the tests locally, but are reported as failing on the toolshed,
> and I wanted to see if I'd addressed the issue for one of them by updating
> the tool dependencies.

I suggest asking on this mailing list, posting the shareable Tool Shed URL
and a copy of the error message. Hopefully it will be a simple issue
(forgetting a test file is my most common mistake), or it may be
that another tool author has seen the same error (which can happen
due to problems in Galaxy itself).

> (As an aside I'd also assumed that passing tests is one of the conditions
> for the tool to be marked as "verified", but maybe that's not the case?)

I think there is still a human involved, but passing tests is expected
for a "verified" tool.

> However as you say, more testing locally seems to be a good way to go -
> thanks for your suggestions. I looked at planemo briefly a while ago and it
> looked good. The other issue I've had with testing is actually testing tool
> installation (i.e. tool_dependencies.xml) - I recall that planemo didn't
> deal with that side of things, so I had to set up the environment for the
> tests manually.

There is some work on tool_dependencies.xml ongoing within planemo,
John Chilton would be the person to ask (CC'd directly).

> Thanks again for your advice and the links, I will investigate trying to set
> up a local solution (including some CI testing!).

This is something where using planemo ought to be very useful - for
now I still do my local testing with a test Galaxy instance via:

$ ./run_tests.sh -id my_tool_id