Hi all,

I was testing a new workflow which I developed on the current
stable release, Galaxy 15.03, and uploaded to the Tool Shed
yesterday:

https://github.com/peterjc/galaxy_blast/tree/master/workflows/blast_top_hit_species
http://toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/view/peterjc/blast_top_hit_species

I then switched to my development instance running the dev
branch from github,

1. Log in as an Admin
2. Install http://toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/view/peterjc/blast_top_hit_species
3. Upload suggested test dataset (in workflow README file):
http://nematode.net/Data/nacobbus_aberrans_transcript_assembly/N.abberans_reference_no_contam.zip
4. Click on "All Workflows" (bottom of left pane tool list)
5. Click on "Species of top BLAST hits (imported from uploaded file)"
6. On preview screen, examine step 3, blastx
7. Notice it will run against Protein BLAST database "nr"
8. Click "Run workflow"

As noted in the README file, this workflow assumes the local
blastdb_p.loc file includes an entry "nr" for a current/recent
mirror of the NCBI "non-redundant" protein BLAST database.

Initially my development galaxy had an empty blastdb_p.loc
file, so I expected the workflow to spot this problem at the preview
step (before ever clicking "run workflow").

Instead it proceeds and attempted to run BLASTX without no database
(which of course failed):

blastx -query
"/mnt/galaxy/repositories/galaxy/database/files/000/dataset_81.dat"
-db "" -query_gencode 1 -evalue 0.001 -out
"/mnt/galaxy/repositories/galaxy/database/files/000/dataset_82.dat"
-outfmt "6 qseqid sseqid pident length mismatch gapopen qstart qend
sstart send evalue bitscore staxids sscinames scomnames sblastnames
sskingdoms" -num_threads "${GALAXY_SLOTS:-8}" -strand both -matrix
BLOSUM62 -seg yes -max_target_seqs 1

That's the bad news: It fails, but it fails with a reasonably clear error:

Fatal error: Exit code 2 ()
BLAST Database error: Database name is required.

Good news: If I update blastdb_p.loc to add the "nr" database it works.

Very bad news: If I update blastdb_p.loc to add other databases (but
not an entry for "nr"), the workflow defaults to the first database in
blastdb_p.loc

(a) example.loc empty, gets empty path, fails cleanly.
(b) example.loc contains xxx, gets correct path, works.
(c) example.loc non empty but lacks xxx, runs with WRONG path.

Peter