Thanks John for your comments & insights (and Marten on Twitter).

I've written, rewritten and culled large chunks of this email.
In short, its very complicated, isn't it?

Peter

(more below)

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Eric Rasche <e...@tamu.edu> wrote:
> I'd +1 to separating out workflows, if the tools are already available the
> process shouldn't require an admin to install them (not when you can
> download/upload manually). Should definitely have some separation
> there...unfortunately all of my ideas consist of me putting aside other work
> projects for a month to work on toolshed stuff. It's, likewise, no secret
> that I desperately want to overhaul it.

Yes. I agree with this too Eric.

One problem is the rather than being system-level entities like
Galaxy tools and their dependencies, workflows are currently
user-level (with a sharing system on top). This means an extra
hurdle in the installation when approached from the current
administrators Tool Shed view point - which user(s) get to use
the new workflow, e.g. https://trello.com/c/j9RQxd6M/

The good news is that *provided* all the dependencies are
installed, an end user can easily import my example workflow
in just a few steps via a local copy of the *.ga file, or just the
GitHub raw URL:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/peterjc/galaxy_blast/master/workflows/blast_top_hit_species/blast_top_hit_species.ga

I've been thinking about the benefits of a ToolShed style
repository_dependencies.xml file versus extracting the
dependencies directly from the *.ga file itself:
https://github.com/galaxyproject/planemo/issues/118