Hi Rui,

(cc’d back to list)

One of the nice things about tool Data Tables is that it allows us to have
multiple ‘.loc’ files as the source for the content for a single data table —
so we can have many ‘all_fasta.loc’ files, but one ‘all_fasta’ tool data table,
with merged contents, and a tool working on ‘all_fasta’ data table doesn’t know
or care about the actual .loc files on disk. Then any tool that uses the
‘all_fasta’ table in an input parameter can simply call input.fields.path, to
have the actual path to the fasta file passed to the tool.

> 1.which file should the downloaded fasta data modify?
> tool_data_table_conf.xml,  or shed_tool_data_table_conf.xml?

Tools installed from the toolshed that include data Tables will
programmatically modify the shed_ file, the other file can is for manual admin
changes.

> 2. which loc file is the primary one for tools to reference? the one in
> $GALAXYHOME/tool-data, or the one in
> $GALAXYHOME/tool-data//toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu/repos/devteam/data_manager_fetch_genome_all_fasta/cca219f2b212/?
>  If first one, then should the data manager update that one too(right now it
> didn't)?

Tools shouldn’t be referencing .loc files directly any more, and instead should
use the tool data table abstraction.

> 3. For now, that tool still uses alignseq.loc, I need to manually update that
> file, correct?

Any tool that makes direct use of a .loc file will need to have that specific
file modified.

> 4. How to determine if a tool is using data table is to look at the tool xml
> file to see if it contains reference to a data table, right? And in
> tool_data_table_conf.xml, it should contain data tables definition for all
> the possible data, right?

a.) Yes, you’ll have to look at the tool.xml, although we could add another
section to the ToolShed preview to include this information if it is useful.

b.) tool_data_table_conf.xml should contain data tables distributed with the
Galaxy distribution and any manually configured data tables.
tool_data_table_conf.xml and shed_tool_data_table_conf.xml will be merged into
one set of tool data tables — a tool data table does not need to be in
tool_data_table_conf.xml if it is in shed_tool_data_table_conf.xml and
vis-versa (but can be in both).

Thanks for using Galaxy,

Dan