This logic was tweaked a bit in the last release to fix this working under
uWSGI, but I'm not seeing it in a fresh checkout (and was pretty sure it
worked before).  The control queue should be initialized at the end of
galaxy's main buildapp() method.

How is the application being run?  (under uwsgi, paste, how many processes,
etc)
Do you see any other errors in the startup log at all?  And, do you see
"Initializing Galaxy Queue Worker" anywhere in the log (I'm guessing not)?