Hey Jeremy,

I have just updated the planemo tool development tutorial with an
answer to this question (I am trying to assemble something of a tool
development FAQ at the end of that tutorial):

http://planemo.readthedocs.org/en/latest/writing_standalone.html#test-index-loc-data

tl;dr - You can define such tests but they will only work with planemo
at this time unfortunately.

-John