From: galaxy-dev [mailto:galaxy-dev-boun...@lists.galaxyproject.org] On Behalf
Of John Chilton
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:26 AM
To: Carlos Lijeron
Cc: galaxy-dev@lists.galaxyproject.org
Subject: Re: [galaxy-dev] Galaxy on HPC and Bright Cluster Manager?

Hello Carlos,

  I have never heard of anyone running Galaxy with Bright Cluster Manager
(though hopefully someone will chime in if they have). If you are interested in
adding support it should be possible. One complication is that Bright Cluster
Manager doesn't appear to have a DRMAA interface (http://www.drmaa.org/) which
is the most direct way to utilize new DRMs. Without that my approach would be
to build a new CLI runner:

There are a few examples here that one can use as template:

https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/tree/dev/lib/galaxy/jobs/runners/util/cli/job

I guess you would have to write a new one targeting cmsub I guess - you also
need to be able to parse a job status somehow - I haven't figured out how to do
that from the documentation - but I assume there is a way.

I looks like Bright supports running SGE, SLURM, and Torque on the cluster -
doing this and interfacing with one of those more common options directly might
be a better approach for Galaxy (and other users if your cluster has them).

-John

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Carlos Lijeron <clije...@hunter.cuny.edu>
wrote:
> Good day everyone,
>

> Has anyone of you been able to implement Galaxy on a HPC using Bright
> Cluster Manager as the main DRM?  I noticed that only a few have been
> known to work with Galaxy, but the list does not include Bright.  Any
> advice/ideas will be greatly appreciated.
>

> TORQUE Resource Manager
>
> PBS Professional
>
> Open Grid Engine
>
> Univa Grid Engine (previously known as Sun Grid Engine and Oracle Grid
> Engine)
>
> Platform LSF
>
> HTCondor
>
> Slurm