Just to clarify - you cannot serve Galaxy only to localhost over http
and configure Apache to do the SSL and load balancing? I am having a
hard time conceiving of a scenario where I would encourage someone to
have paste deal with the SSL instead of Apache - configuring that in
paste is not going to be as robust, well documented, or secure IMO.

If you really do need to serve paste via SSL - I am not sure what to
do next. I have no experience in configuring Apache to do this and I
have not heard of anyone else doing it (one can imagine it is a lot
harder to act as a proxy for a process when the traffic to and from
that process is encrypted).

-John