The option in the GUI for selecting multiple datasets for a single
data parameter - causes multiple jobs to be created as you noted. If
you just place multiple="true" on your data input parameter  - that
button will go away and all the datasets will be used for a single
job.

If your tool consumes pairs of datasets - you will want to expose an
option where you are using a parameter like:

<input name="input_pairs" type="data_collection"
collection_type="list:paired" format="fastq" />

and then your users will have to use the data collection creator to
pair off the datasets into a big list before using your tool - but the
creator is actually really nice - I think it makes it very easy to
build large lists of pairs.

Hope this helps - happy to provide more details,
-John