the latter.  starting with a dataset, pull it's full history.  therefore if
it was created by running a simple single-step tool it's one step.  if it
was created as part of a workflow, grab that whole series of
steps/inputs/outputs.

i agree on the python/java bindings being out of date, but even when i was
scanning the JSON I wasnt able to see where I'd glean this information.
 the missing thing for me was always determining if a given dataset was
connected to a larger workflow.

-ben