Yeah - it seems like ftplib doesn't support proxies and that is what
is used by this script:

https://github.com/galaxyproject/tools-devteam/blob/master/data_managers/data_manager_fetch_genome_all_fasta/data_manager/data_manager_fetch_genome_all_fasta.py

Some relevant discussion here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1293518/proxies-in-python-ftp-application

I might suggest reworking that script to use urllib2 which should
support ftp and proxies. Not sure if there is some feature in ftplib
though that is required for the data manager.

-John