My understanding is a bit limited but I believe the file is used to
track tool shed installed tools that use to belong in the Galaxy
distribution.

I don't think it has much use for a new Galaxy instance and no - I
don't believe there is a way from the command-line to sort of
synchronize this file with the one for usegalaxy.org. We are working
on things like tool profiles and scripts to do this - I think Enis is
going to present about this work to the Galaxy Admins meeting later in
August (watch for announcement). Someday it will be easy to
synchronize your tools with usegalaxy.org but I don't think it is yet
unfortunately.

-John