Hi Raymond,

Galaxy as a very sophisticated support for this called ObjectStore.
Please have a look at the API and the Wiki (the wiki can be improved so
much on this).

https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/ObjectStore
http://galaxy.readthedocs.org/en/stable/lib/galaxy.objectstore.html

I can also send you our configuration using a hierarchical object store.
Cheers,
Bjoern