Hi Christian,

looking at the R package and on the Docker build instructions, R seems
to be installed with cairo support:

https://github.com/galaxyproject/tools-iuc/blob/master/packages/package_r_3_2_1/tool_dependencies.xml
https://github.com/natefoo/docker-build/blob/master/R/build.sh

Are you using the latest IUC packages?
Your script seems to be fine, I can not spot any obvious error.
But I don't know how your dependencies are defined and which env vars
are exported.

Ciao,
Bjoern