Hi Clinton,

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 2:23 AM, Clinton Chee <c...@altair.com> wrote:

> Dear Galaxy devs / support,
>
> I am trying to understand the following snippet from job_conf.xml (I want
> to use drmaa v1)
> ------------
> <destination id="pbs_drmaa_orion" runner="drmaa" tags="merc">
>             <param id="destination">galaxy@merc</param>
>  </destination>
> ------------
>

> Based on someone's configuration above, I am trying to customize to my
> system.
>
> I'm trying to understand where/how the parameters are associated?
> - tags?

Tags are identifiers used to map tools to destinations. You probably do not
need to use them, but if you wanted to have a tool (or the default
destination) send jobs to more than one destination (selected at random),
tags are used for that. They can also be used for setting job concurrency
limits.

> - destination in param id? is this the queue?  I also checked the DRMAA
> specification but cannot find any "destination" as a keyword.

I am not sure where this example came from but I don't believe it would
work - the "destination" param works with the "pbs" runner, but the pbs
runner only works with Torque, as far as I know. The drmaa runner expects
params that conform to the DRMAA specification, the most common of which is
`nativeSpecification`. If you wanted to set the destination for PBS Pro
using the drmaa runner, the param would be:

    <param id="nativeSpecification">-q queue@server_name</param>

- galaxy@merc?   is merc pointing to the hostname, and galaxy the queue
> name? (I know the instution's cluster is called "merc", but I don't know if
> the "merc" in the tag is for convenience or is being read as the hostname?

That format is a PBS destination identifier, so `galaxy` is the queue on
the PBS server `merc`.

Hope this helps, please let us know if this doesn't clear things up.

--nate