Hi Peter,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ray,
>
> You will absolutely need command line access to the Galaxy
> server for some of the administration tasks - the web admin
> controls and web report tool only let you do some of the likely
> tasks.
>
> During the initial setup admin (sudo) rights would be useful,
> at very least you'll need the sys admin to help with mounting
> shared network drives, cluster integration, database setup.
> If you want to run cluster jobs as the associated Unix account
> of each user, or anything like LDAP logins, then again you
> will need help from your sys admin.

I see!

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but something I'm marginally familiar
with is content management systems (CMS) such as Joomla and WordPress
and maybe I can use it as an analogy to make sure I understand.  For
those, suppose we create an account "ray" who owns or is in a group
with the Apache process who owns:

1)  the directory that Joomla resides in and all subdirectories,
2)  is the database administrator of the MySQL database, and
3)  is the administrator of the Joomla web interface

then I wouldn't need sudo access.  On occasion, the Apache
configuration might need to be changed and the system administrator
can be asked to do that, but that's probably once a year or something.

Is Galaxy like this?  Or do you reckon I need full sudo access?

Sorry, I just want to make sure when I ask for greater access, I have
an idea how Galaxy works or how it might differ from a CMS.

> See also: https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Community/GalaxyAdmins

Thanks for the link!  I'll take a look at it to get myself better
acquainted with administering Galaxy!

Ray