Hi Keith,

I've dealt with similar situations by adding the sourcing of
.venv/bin/activate to the etc/init.d/galaxy script. Then none of the
pre-existing pid code needs to be changed.

-Will

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 8:55 AM, Suderman Keith <suder...@cs.vassar.edu>
wrote:

> The solution was rather simple, once I figured it out.
>
> The /etc/init.d/galaxy script was invoking scripts/paster.py script
> directly so .venv/bin/activate was not being sourced.  The solution was to
> modify /etc/init.d/galaxy to call a startup script that sourced
> .venv/bin/activate before starting Galaxy.  I can write my solution up in
> more detail, but now I am having some problems setting the pid file
> correctly.
>
> If I use the --make-pidfile and --pidfile options for start-stop-daemon in
> /etc/init.d/galaxy then /var/run/galaxy.pid contains the pid of the startup
> script and not the pid of the Galaxy instance.
>
> If I try to set the pid in the startup script Galaxy won't start as the
> script (now running as the Galaxy user) can't create/write the
> /var/run/galaxy.pid file.
>
> My hack-around has been to touch the pid file (in case it doesn't exist)
> and then chown it to the galaxy user in /etc/init.d/galaxy, but this
> doesn't strike me as the correct way to do this.  Do any sysadmin gurus
> have any better suggestions?
>
> Cheers,
> Keith
>
> > On Nov 1, 2015, at 9:31 PM, Keith Suderman <suder...@cs.vassar.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am trying to upgrade our Galaxy instance to the latest stable code
> from master and now our instance won't start using my /etc/init.d/galaxy
> script.  That is:
> >
> >> sudo service galaxy start
> >
> > no longer works. It says it does (i.e. prints "[OK]"), but Galaxy isn't
> running and nothing is written to the log. I am using the init.d script
> from simison [1], which is basically the same as the one posted to the
> Galaxy wiki [2], both of which are quite old.
> >
> > Galaxy does start with:
> >
> >> sudo su galaxy
> >> ./run.sh --daemon
> >
> > so I have left Galaxy running in a screen session for now, but that is
> less than ideal.
> >
> > I suspect something to do with the .venv as `./run.sh --skip-venv` also
> fails and I don't recall Galaxy being that finicky about a venv being
> active. Does anyone know how I can get the /etc/init.d/galaxy script (i.e.
> start-stop-daemon) to activate the venv for paster.py?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Keith
> >
> > 1. http://simison.com/brian/GalaxyAdmin_notes.html
> > 2.
> https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Events/GCC2012/TrainingDay/WS5?highlight=%28init.d%29
> >
> > ------------------------------
> > Research Associate
> > Department of Computer Science
> > Vassar College
> > Poughkeepsie, NY

The information contained in this e-mail message or any attachment(s) may
be confidential and/or privileged and is intended for use only by the
individual(s) to whom this message is addressed.  If you are not the
intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution, copying, or use is
strictly prohibited.  If you receive this e-mail message in error, please
e-mail the sender at who...@lygos.com and destroy this message and remove
the transmission from all computer directories (including e-mail servers).