Dear all,

I'm a bit new at being a Galaxy administrator, so apologies for the
basic question.

I need to install some bowtie and bowtie2 indices.  I have the indices
already but came across this page:

https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/DataPreparation

which says the steps mentioned on that page have been replaced with
Data Managers.  I'm having problems with installing Data Managers
(accessing ToolShed right now and some errors which I guess I need to
sort out later) and was wondering if there was a way to bypass Data
Managers?

Are Data Managers the only way of installing reference data?  With the
indices already pre-calculated, can I install them without having to
go through re-calculating them within Galaxy?

Thank you!

Ray