Hans is correct prior to Galaxy 16.01. The 16.01 release of Galaxy
added a monitor attribute to config/tool_conf.xml.sample (e.g.
<toolbox monitor="true">) that causes Galaxy to watch that file for
changes and reload the toolbox on modifications. No need to add this
to tool shed tool confs (and it would probably break them) but for
non-tool shed tool confs this should work.

Additionally, the toolbox tool conf can have a <tool_dir
dir="path/to/tool" /> element that will cause Galaxy to load a whole
directory at a time - this can be combined with active monitoring and
reloading of modified tools  in that directory by installing
"watchdog" ($GALAXY_ROOT/.venv/bin/pip install watchdog) into Galaxy's
virtualenv and then setting watch_tools=True in galaxy.ini. This is
what planemo machine does to monitor a directory of tools (there have
been reports that this approach may be a bit buggy - help with bug
reports and/or fixes would be appreciated).

-John